Quiz – Are You Ready to Own a Pet?
Kitten season is in full swing here in Davis, and puppies are always in fashion. If you’ve been thinking of adopting a companion animal, be it a Lab or a lab rat, you may want to consider the following questions before you commit yourself to a lifetime of care and poop-patrol.
- Are you ready to make a lifelong commitment to a pet?
- Are you financially able to pay for food, toys, vet visits?
- Will your landlord allow pets? If so, can you afford the additional deposit and/or monthly fee?
- Can you provide a pet a safe and stable environment?
- Does everyone in your household think that now is a good time to acquire a pet?
- Are you ready for the daily demands: daily dog walks,daily litter scooping, committing to being home on a regular schedule to feed and exercise your pet?
- Do you have the time to play with it and give it large daily doses of attention and affection?
- Is everyone in your home free of pet allergies?
- Have you researched the type of dog or cat, rodent or reptile that would best fit your lifestyle?
- When you leave town for vacation, work, or school do you have a contingency plan for the pet’s care?
If you answered “No” to any of these questions, you may want to reconsider whether this is a good time in your life to adopt a pet.
If you’re renting in Davis, be sure to check with the management before bringing home a pet. Many Davis apartments, including some Tandem properties, allow pets, albeit with size limitations, but some don’t. You should also be aware that there is a limit in Yolo County to four dogs per household.
If your landlord allows it, and you think you’re ready to make a lifelong commitment, you can contact many private adoption organizations or the Yolo County SPCA in Woodland.