Whether you’re an apartment dweller or simply don’t feel the need to store a box full of tools, everyone needs some basic tools to assist in various household tasks. We’ve compiled a group of tools that won’t take up valuable closet space, but will also have you prepared for the next fix-it job around the house.
- Screwdrivers: Go with the stubby variety to save the most space (a flathead and phillips head screwdriver), but for the most versatility a screwdriver with interchangeable heads will work best, even better if it’s also stubby.
- Heavy Duty Scissors: Skip office scissors, which will wilt under the pressure of cutting rope or fabric. A set of contractor grade scissors has many uses from the kitchen to the workshop.
- Crescent Adjustable Wrench: An adjustable wrench is a must-have in any tiny tool kit. Consider a kit that includes multiple sizes, so you’ve got all your nuts and bolt sizes covered.
- Tape Measure: From woodworking to interior design, a tape measure is indispensable. A12′ locking tape measure should handle most jobs around the house but won’t have the bulk of a 25′ contractor grade tape measure.
- Level: A standard bubble level with a measuring scale is necessary when installing shelves and can be helpful when hanging mirrors or artwork. But there’s also an app for that.
- Hammer: An 8 oz. stubby claw hammer will do 90% of the jobs around the house.
- Pliers: If you’ve got the space then go with a 6″ slip-joint and a 6″ long nose pair of pliers.
If you’ve got room to spare, consider adding a mini-hacksaw or jab saw, an all-purpose sanding sponge, work gloves, eye protection.
Photo by Handy Man.
Once again, if you need ANY regular maintenance at any Tandem Property, fill out the form here. Emergency maintenance repairs needed should be reported immediately to Management by calling the office number: When the voice mail message comes on, PRESS ‘0‘ to be connected to the answering service, who will direct your call to on-site staff.