Burglar-Proof Your Davis or Woodland Apartment
There have been a lot of break-ins lately in and around Davis and Woodland. Houses and apartments seem to be equally vulnerable both during the daylight and nighttime hours.
According to Woodland’s paper, the Daily Democrat, if you’re planning to leave home for any length of time over the holidays, the Davis Police department has some suggestions.
- Always lock your doors and windows, especially when away from your home and while sleeping. [Sorry, I have to say it, “DUH”!]
- Keep shades and blinds in their normal positions
- Stop mail and newspapers, or ask a trusted neighbor to pick them up every day.
- Put timers on several house-hold lights so they turn on and off at appropriate [and varying] times.
- Arrange to have yard work done while you are gone.
- Make sure all your door and window locks are in working order. Activate your home alarm.
- Leave a radio on low, or put it on a timer.
- Turn off the ringer on your phone and turn down the volume on your answering machine.
- Allow a trusted neighbor to park in your driveway.
The Davis Police Department would also like to encourage residents to use our Vacation House Check Program as well as create a Neighborhood Watch Group for your neighborhood. Davis residents can obtain more information by calling 747-5411.
By following these simple tips, you’re telling anyone casing your home that they should move on to their next potential victim.
What other preventative tips would you suggest?